Please register your interest on this listing, on the 'Documents Tab' tab.
Property Ref: 37228
The Mill House Oamaru, Luxury Lodge & Property For Sale
Property Type: Bed & Breakfast, Hotels, Lodges, Motels, Commercial Real Estate, Development Opportunities
Sale Type: Freehold Going Concern
Physical Address: 2358 Herbert-Hampden Road, Oamaru, New Zealand
Price: FHGC $850,000 +GST if any ADJOINING RESIDENCE $495,000 incl. GST
Broker: Adrian ChisholmMobile: +64 21 727 888
Rare & Beautiful Historic Landmark Lodge & Property is on the Market
One of New Zealand’s best historic tourism accommodation businesses, positioned on a landscaped 0.4406ha land title (approx.) and can include an adjoining residential home and property (optional and situated on a separate 0.3030ha land title), has been placed on the market for sale.
The property and business is situated in a prime location alongside State Highway One, between Dunedin and Oamaru, and is offered for sale as a freehold going concern.
This exciting business opportunity offers large land holdings and buildings, and includes the magnificent historical main building, The Mill House, along with another building containing 4 motel-style units, which is set separately in the landscaped gardens.
- Prime location on State Highway, alongside the Waianakarua River
- Historical building and lodge, plus additional motel style accommodation
- Charming character rooms all with ensuite
- Conference, function & events facilities
- Established manicured gardens & lawn areas
- Barbeque and outdoor dining areas
- Access to the historic Otepopo Bridge
- Moeraki Boulders are a short 10 minute drive
- Significant potential to develop the facilities and business further
Built in 1879, The Mill House is a former historic flour mill set on the banks of the Waianakarua River. It is a significant North Otago landmark, located on SH1 between the delightful villages of Hampden and Herbert. In 1970 The Mill House was refurbished and converted into an accommodation, restaurant, and function centre.
The original Mill House building is three storeys, built of local “Bedding Hill” Oamaru stone and massive wooden beams. The stone was quarried locally and carted by bullock and wagon to the building site. The ground floor consists of a spacious reception area including men’s and women’s bathrooms, events for up to 99 people (approx.) in the dining room, full commercial kitchen, staff area with bathrooms and a large, walk-in cool room.
HISTORIC LODGE ACCOMODATION
- Reception area
- Function area (for up to approximately 99 people)
- Full commercial kitchen & large walk-in cool room
- Separate staff area
- 4 generous double rooms, each with queen-size beds and ensuite
- 1 family suite, with two generous adjoining rooms, with one queen bed and two single beds, with a shared bathroom that can be reserved as a family suite
- Shared guest lounge facilities
- Consented for accommodation for 26 people in main building
Second Floor (Top Floor):
- 1 ensuite large bedroom
- 2 large bedrooms
- 1 large bathroom, which also has the tapware for a washing machine
- Open-plan kitchen, dining, living room areas
- Constructed in 1971, all four units are spacious and have ensuite bathrooms
- 2 large self-contained units featuring a queen-size bed, ensuite bathroom, one single bed, kitchenette, and dining area with one double sofa-bed
- 2 standard self-contained units, featuring a queen-size bed, one single bed
- Laundry room & plant room
- Potentially a new buyer could utilise these units further
The beautiful established gardens feature mature trees and floriferous plantings, and are situated alongside a peaceful, tranquil riverside setting. The 0.4406ha property (approx.) adjoins a river reserve, belonging to the Waitaki District Council, part of which is used by the Mill House. Guests are welcome to walk through the gardens to access the riverside and historic Otepopo Bridge.
CONFERENCE, EVENTS, & POTENTIAL
The charm and character of the building, along with the history, accommodation and expansive lawn and garden areas, lend it to special events such as:
- Wedding celebrations & anniversaries
- Seasonal packages
- Specialised retreats
- Corporate training, conferences and presentations
- Restaurant dining experiences
The main building features a generous ground floor function venue, and is consented for up to 99 persons. Currently the configuration for dining events allows for up to 50 people. A full commercial kitchen is also on the ground floor. This part of the business has significant potential to be developed further, if the new buyer wishes to operate a hospitality business alongside the accommodation business.
APPROXIMATE TRAVEL TIMES TO:
- Moeraki & Moeraki Boulders 10 minutes
- Oamaru 20 minutes
- Dunedin 1 hour
- Timaru 1 hours 15 minutes
- Queenstown 3 hours 15 minutes
- Christchurch 3 hours 15 minutes
- Invercargill 3 hours 30 minutes
PRIVATE RESIDENCE OFFERED FOR SALE AT $495,000 (incl. GST)
- Comfortable three bedroom family home
- Brand new roof completed Dec. 2020
- Recently completed renovations
- New hot water cylinder & central heating
- 2 large double bedrooms, both with ensuite
- 1 large single bedroom
- Spacious living areas, featuring a brand new kitchen
- Plus, an additional sleepout with ensuite
- Multiple outbuildings/sheds
- Plus further established, manicured gardens
If you are looking for an iconic accommodation complex, on a main tourist route, with significant potential to develop further, then contact Adrian to arrange your viewing now. The Mill House is being offered for sale as a freehold going concern and early viewing of this North Otago historic icon is strongly encouraged.
For more information please register now and request access to the documents, or contact specialist Accommodation Business Broker, Adrian Chisholm, AREINZ, on 021 727 888 or email Adrian@tourismproperties.com.
If you would like to know more, please register, then navigate to the Documents tab above the main image, and request access, thank you.
Full Listing Information for this Tourism Business will be disclosed to registered, approved Potential Purchasers.
Become a Registered User:
To gain access and download full confidential individual files on businesses for sale on this website, you must first be a registered user, and have ticked the box that you agree to the strict terms and conditions of the confidentiality agreement, provided by TourismProperties.com.
This is a simple two-minute process, which you can complete by selecting ‘Register’ at the top right hand of your device now.
If you are already registered with us:
You can request full access to this listing’s confidential files by:
- Logging in with your existing user name (your email used to register) and your password, then by
- Locating the listing you are interested in viewing Listing Files, then
- Navigating to the ‘Documents‘ tab, of the listing you are interested in, and
- Selecting ‘Request Access‘ to the confidential information here within.
We will quickly respond confirming your approval.
When you are emailed your ‘access approval’ notification, you need to be logged in to our website, in order to view and/or download the confidential files, which are located in your ‘Document Library‘.
If you are already logged in now:
Simply register your interest here, by navigating to the ‘Documents‘ tab, and selecting ‘Request Access‘ to the confidential information here within, and Adrian will come back to you by email with your access notification.
37228: Oamaru Mill House For Sale - Title I
37228: Oamaru Mill House For Sale - Title II
37228: Oamaru Mill House For Sale - Financial Report
37228: Oamaru Mill House For Sale - Cert of Incorporation
37228: Oamaru Mill House For Sale - Company Extract
37228: Oamaru Mill House For Sale - Building WOF
37228: Oamaru Mill House For Sale - Rates I
37228: Oamaru Mill House For Sale - Rates II
37228: Oamaru Mill House For Sale - Award Letter
37228: Oamaru Mill House For Sale - Award Badge
37228: Oamaru Mill House For Sale - Chattels
|Trip Advisor. com||45||4.5 / 5|
9 / 10
8.6 / 10
What a gem! ★★★★★
This beautiful property is tucked away off highway 1 between Oamaru and Moeraki – a great spot from where you can do a trip to Fleur’s Place for dinner, or head north to Riverstone for dinner or lunch, see the Oamaru Blue Penguin Colony, go wine tasting in Waitaki Valley, check out Shag Point, or take a day trip to Dunedin.
The location is wonderful, the grounds are beautiful, and the hospitality is excellent.
Rooms are clean, welcoming, and comfortable. Take a walk next to the river, have a glass of wine (bring your own!) in the garden, and watch bunnies frolics across the bank.
It felt like a place out of a fairy tale.
Don’t miss this place!
Wonderful place! ★★★★★
We travelled from Palmerston North down to Dunedin for the Ed Sheeran concert. The Mill House was a great choice! Such lovely owners and staff. We stayed 2 nights and would’ve happily stayed longer. Our beds were so comfy! Our room was spotlessly clean, cosy and spacious. Very peaceful surroundings and lovely gardens! Look forward to staying again when we are back down south.
Lovely visit! ★★★★★
We needed a place to stay near Dunedin the day before the Ed Sheeran concert. I had driven past this place many times but didn’t know they did accommodation! So when we looked on line for accommodation and found this we booked immediately. Glad we did. Lovely place, very welcoming people, and nice surroundings.
Would be a lovely wedding venue.
Comfortable, friendly and great tips for places to go ★★★★★
We ended up here when we could not find anywhere to stay in Oamaru. What a lovely place with friendly and helpful staff who gave excellent advice about the local area and things to do. The room was large and a comfortable bed. Lovely gardens. Thank you!
A great place to stay ★★★★★
We stayed one night at The Mill House and was very pleasant surprised. The rooms were spacious and clean, the coffee was good and the reception really helped us with suggestions on what to do and when. The location was perfect for our needs, we went to the Moeraki boulders at sunset and got suggestions on how to (see) penguins and other wildlife. We saw 2! Yellow eyed penguins and numerous of seals. They had a really nice garden too.
Rangiora Photographic Society Field trip! ★★★★★
9 of us stayed here for our Field trip at Labour Weekend at the end of October and we had the best time. The rooms were super comfortable and clean. We found the breakfast room so convenient and the service for anything at all we needed was attended to immediately. We thoroughly enjoyed the lounge in the evenings being able to share our experiences over the day. Just down the road to Hampden for good food and of course the Boulders are just beyond there. Definitely recommend this place as a special place to stay.
Historic Mill stay ★★★★★
My partner booked this and he did well. Old converted Mill with historic bridge nearby. Lovely room and spacious common room area for reading and relaxing. Close to Oamaru and Moeraki. I would definitely stay here again.
Source: Online review platforms.
Property TypeBed & Breakfast
Commercial Real Estate
Sale TypeFreehold Going Concern
Physical Address2358 Herbert-Hampden Road, Oamaru, New Zealand
PriceFHGC $850,000 +GST if any ADJOINING RESIDENCE $495,000 incl. GST
Adrian ChisholmPRINCIPAL | Tourism, Hospitality & Leisure Business Broker
Head Office | Otago & Southland
International: +64 21 727 888
NZ Mobile: 021 727 888